The final instructions list the following as virtual currency transactions that trigger a “YES” response on a Form 1040 to the virtual currency question:
• The receipt or transfer of virtual currency for free (without providing any consideration), including from an airdrop or hard fork;
• An exchange of virtual currency for goods or services;
• A sale of virtual currency;
• An exchange of virtual currency for other property, including for another virtual currency; and
• A disposition of a financial interest in virtual currency.
The above list isn’t exhaustive and other transactions may require a “YES” response on a Form 1040.
For more info, see page 16 of Forms 1040 & 1040-SR instructions at https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/i1040gi.pdf
If you need help, contact us at https://tjcarroll-law.com/contact/
𝐓𝐡𝐨𝐦𝐚𝐬 𝐉𝐚𝐦𝐞𝐬 𝐂𝐚𝐫𝐫𝐨𝐥𝐥, 𝐏.𝐂. 𝐢𝐬 𝐚 𝐥𝐚𝐰 𝐟𝐢𝐫𝐦 𝐟𝐨𝐜𝐮𝐬𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐨𝐧 𝐟𝐞𝐝𝐞𝐫𝐚𝐥 𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝐬𝐭𝐚𝐭𝐞 𝐭𝐚𝐱𝐞𝐬 𝐭𝐡𝐚𝐭 𝐩𝐫𝐨𝐯𝐢𝐝𝐞𝐬 𝐢𝐧𝐝𝐢𝐯𝐢𝐝𝐮𝐚𝐥𝐬 𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝐛𝐮𝐬𝐢𝐧𝐞𝐬𝐬𝐞𝐬 𝐰𝐢𝐭𝐡 𝐭𝐚𝐱 𝐡𝐞𝐥𝐩 𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝐬𝐨𝐥𝐮𝐭𝐢𝐨𝐧𝐬 𝐟𝐨𝐫 𝐭𝐨𝐝𝐚𝐲 𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝐭𝐨𝐦𝐨𝐫𝐫𝐨𝐰.
𝐎𝐯𝐞𝐫 𝟑𝟓 𝐘𝐞𝐚𝐫𝐬 𝐨𝐟 𝐄𝐱𝐩𝐞𝐫𝐢𝐞𝐧𝐜𝐞 𝐢𝐧 𝐈𝐑𝐒, 𝐍𝐘 & 𝐍𝐉 𝐓𝐚𝐱 𝐀𝐮𝐝𝐢𝐭𝐬, 𝐀𝐩𝐩𝐞𝐚𝐥𝐬 & 𝐓𝐚𝐱 𝐏𝐥𝐚𝐧𝐧𝐢𝐧𝐠.